Tuesday 5 April 2011

Time flies by

I'm not sure where the last few days have gone! One minute I was arriving home from work in good time on Friday afternoon prior to heading to Keswick and now it's Tuesday morning and I'm in a hotel room in Istanbul. Below is a quick summary of the last three or four days:

On Friday evening me and Stef drove up to Keswick, checked into our our B&B, Dollywagon had a couple of pints in the Dog and Gun, nipped in the Old Keswickian for fish and chips then went back into the Dog with Nigel from the FRA forums

After breakfast on Saturday we met Nigel again along with several other friends at the Moot Hall, drove to Threlkeld, ran back down to Keswick then did leg 1 of the Bob Graham. I felt awful all morning and thought I was going to be sick around Great Calava. Eventually I came round and sudddenly I was going really well from Mungrisdale Common up onto Blencathra. I took Doddick down with Nigel and Trev, Ken descended Hall's Fell, whilst Stef, Bill and David came down the 'Parachute'. On landing Stef said she wanted to do some more climbing so went back up Hall's Fell with Ken and then descended Doddick, while I had a nap in the car. In the evening it was back to the Dog and Gun and then Lakeland Spice

On Sunday at 10am it was time to meet again at the Moot Hall before running out to the foot of Catbells, over the ridge to High Spy, down and back up to Dalehead, then the flying descent to Honister before finishing off back up and over leg 5 to the Moot Hall. Me and Stef were pleased especially with climbing comfortably up from Honister in 31minutes, which is way ahead of 23hour schedule time

The weather while we were out was fantastic all weekend, the B&B great (our landlady allowed us to use the shower on Sunday teatime before coming home, which was very kind), and the company and craic was great. Many thanks for a memorable weekend to Bill, Ken, Nigel, David, Trev and Gavin from the forums, plus Liz who we met on Dalehead. Dave A off the forums was also out recceing and we had a chat at Honister before climbing back up to Dalehead. I logged over 36miles and just under 11,000feet over Saturday and Sunday to give a third consecutive 10,000ft week

Yesterday I flew from Manchester to Istanbul (my first every visit to Turkey) and last night had dinner with our business partners here. I'm around until Friday morning and again the time looks like going very quickly as we have plenty to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment