Wednesday 18 May 2011

Bob Graham leg 1 report

Navigator - Yiannis. Pacers - Gav P, Deejay, Hank

Leg 1 is up Skiddaw from Keswick (the biggest climb on a clockwise round), on to Great Calva, then the long moorland slog over Mungrisdale Common up Blencathra and back down to Threlkeld

Altogether 15 of us ran out from the Moot Hall on time and headed to Fitz Park. I was first through the ginnel by the pink sweet shop and I burst out laughing when Yiannis popped out of another ginnel in front of us to take the lead through the car-park

I’ve had a couple of bad climbs up Skiddaw on recces but last time we looked at it I shot up and on Friday I felt great again. It’s part of BG lore that you train ‘tired’ with full kit, taper / rest, then feel great at the start of your attempt and this proved to be the case again this time

The leg went well and I enjoyed chatting to some of Linda’s team who were from various parts of the Midlands. Clare Griffin was amongst this group and it was lovely to see her as she is one of the people who inspired me to have a go at the round. Gav was great on his first ever support and really looked after me with food and drinks as we knocked off the peaks. Geoff and Deejay were doing their jobs quietly and efficiently too

Stef had to stop for a brief toilet break part way up Calva but I didn’t realise that this was the start of what turned later into a real problem. We were soon on the summit of Blencathra with three peaks in the bag

I’d never done the Parachute descent before and was terrified to be honest the first time I saw the start last year with Bob Wightman and Richard Gilbert. However, me and Linda followed Stef and Yiannis down and I was surprised pleasantly to really enjoy it. The sight of the steep fell-side lit up by head torches as we ran down was amazing and I was shocked at how much grass we had to run on and the fact that the route never felt exposed like the ridges on the South face

Before I knew it we were all down safely and I was tucking into a mug of tea and if I remember correctly a sausage roll. One leg done with around twelve minutes in the bank and 'just' four to go

No comments:

Post a Comment