Tuesday 10 July 2012

Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon 2012


I'm still trying to get my head round the SLMM; my first ever mountain marathon. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of this type of event generally and last weekend in particular. I've left blogging about it for a couple of days on purpose and I'm still not sure what to write if the truth be known! Anyway below is a list of highs and lows of my event:

Highs

Fish and chips on the way there on Friday

Day 2 - less processions between check-points and maybe a bit more route choice

Me marking out the checkpoints correctly (on both days)

Couscous with Dolmio Express Bolognese sauce on Saturday evening and half a packet of Jaffa Cakes for pudding

Meeting some nice folk

No midges!

Harvey maps I've used OS maps for forever and invariably 1:25,000 scale but after a weekend with a Harvey map I was mightily impressed with the look of the thing and the simplicity of it

Lows

All the faff involved with the kit and the endless packing. This is a major thing for me because I'm not really into sports kit and hate lists!

Day 1 - it took me ages to get into moving and navigating at the same time and the final quarter of the course leading back to the overnight camp might as well have been taped

Not knowing anyone. It was weird because if I go to a local fell race I know a good proportion of the field even if only by sight but with a handful of exceptions I hardly knew anyone there all weekend. This wasn't a problem but just felt odd

If you'd have asked me on Saturday evening if I'd do another mountain marathon I'd have definitely said 'no' but I might have a go at another. Stef loves these events and Sam enjoyed the weekend immensely (they were very close to the prizes for the second year running and no doubt Stef will be writing about it soon). I still can't make nor tail of it somehow

1 comment:

  1. Is this the polite version? Are mountain marathoners as weird as fell runners? Looking forward to hearing all the funny stories. Hope there were some!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete