Thursday 19 July 2012

Widdop fell race

Stef is keen to do as many races as possible at the moment, so we had a mad dash over to Widdop last night for Calder Valley's Widdop fell race. I'm reasonably familiar with the area where we were to run, but I had never done the race before, partly because it's a fair way to go for a 7-15pm start. After a frantic registration we set off together near the back of the field. There were two or three gates / stiles early on which caused bottle-necks but we were soon on on the fell proper with a long tussocky ascent

The plan was for me to run with Stef like last week at Stirton but I ended up about a hundred yards in front and after about a third of the distance decided to just run at my own pace. It was a decent evening for the race and I spotted a golden plover flying by calling not long before the finish. I felt strong throughout the seven miles and finished well for me

Stef had a great run too and is improving all the time. Regular training and racing is certainly making a big difference for her. Ian Holmes won albeit in a fairly slow time due to the very muddy conditions. Results will be up here soon 

No comments:

Post a Comment