Tuesday 22 February 2011

Curlews

We have a flock of curlews that over winter in Lower Wharfedale. I've never counted them but have seen estimates of around 200 birds elsewhere on the internet. They roost at night in the fields around Ben Rhydding and I see them regularly now the mornings are lighter, huddled together, usually on the right hand side opposite the playing fields and car wash

The vast majority of curlews travel to the coast in winter time and it's unusual for such a large number of these majestic waders to stay in land all year round. It's with mixed feelings that I look forward to them dispersing very soon up onto the local moors to breed. I'll miss the sight of them lifting my spirits on my drive to work but it will be great to have them back up on Ilkley Moor, Round Hill and Beamsley Beacon and hearing their characteristic bubbling calls when I'm out running

No comments:

Post a Comment